Physical distancing involves taking steps to limit the number of people you come into close contact with in order to reduce the risk of getting sick. But this doesn't mean you need to remain indoors!
Unless you are required to self-isolate, step out for some fresh air and enjoy our beautiful neighbourhood. It can make a huge difference to your mental and physical health - just keep at least two metres away from another person and be sure to wash your hands when you come home.
The Alberta Government offers the following suggestions for staying healthy:
- Keep at least 6 feet (about the length of a hockey stick) from others when going out for groceries, medical trips and other essential needs
- Limit the number of times you leave your home for errands and try to shop at less busy times
- Order online to have groceries or other items delivered if possible
- Go for a walk in your neighbourhood or park while maintaining distance from others
- Avoid overcrowding in enclosed spaces and follow Alberta's restrictions on gatherings (i.e., no gathering of more than 15 people is allowed in one indoor or outdoor location)
- Wash or sanitize your hands after touching communal surfaces.
Check out Alberta.ca for more information including supports for Albertans.
The City of Edmonton has responded to the global pandemic and taken several steps to help keep us safe. Visit City of Edmonton Emergency Preparedness - COVID for information about available city services including current information regarding recreation facilities and programs, playgrounds, golf courses, picnic areas, sports fields, city attractions and events, transit services, waste collection services, dog parks, complaints and enforcement.
Explore Edmonton has gathered examples of how you can keep busy at home while connecting with local businesses, artists, attractions and more. They suggest: "re-post local content to your Instagram story, do some early Christmas shopping online, engage with digital content like live-streams & tutorials, or buy gift cards at places like local salons and fitness studios... we know these businesses will appreciate it."
Check out their site for a lot more great ideas including Things to Do with Kids at Home.